Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Beauty. Strength. Humor. Grace.

Each time March 1st rolls around I just can't help but feel a little sadness throughout my day. As many of you know, it has been 6 years since Ali Cloud passed away. I can't believe how much has happened since then. I can still remember that day and the weeks following very vividly even though it all kind of felt like a blur. I miss her so much and wonder what adventures we could be sharing today. She was such a light in my life and such an inspiration and I am thankful for the time that I had to get to know her.

I find it very appropriate that I learned how to surf this weekend. It was always something that Ali and I talked about doing. We watched the surfing movie Blue Crush hundreds of times and promised that one day we would learn to surf (even if it was on Lake Michigan...Yes, people surf there! We researched it.) and all this would eventually lead to meeting some hot surfer dudes! There was one time on Sunday when my surf instructor left me alone to catch a final wave. In that moment, I teared up thinking about how I needed to make this last wave worth it for Ali because it was a dream we shared.

I am also reading a book written by Ali's mom, Lori Schuster. It is an well-written book that pulls you right in. It's part romance, part mystery, part AWESOME. I am really enjoying it.I haven't finished it yet, but I am very excited to. And if you are interested here is the link to the book. Woven.

Miss you everyday, Ali.
-----------------------

I have grown. And I thought things would get easier. The grief and sadness would become less. But after all these years, it still doesn't seem any easier. Maybe it's less obvious, or less constant. But it's still there. Always will be, and i don't know if i would want to have it any other way.


"Close up these eyes, try not to cry
All that I've got to pull me through is memories of you" -Yellowcard

Me, Maya, Ali. This is probably before any of us could drive so we decided the only fun thing left to do was take pictures of ourselves using the timer function :)

Anjuli, Me, Kyle, Ali, Maya. Not sure how Kyle got so lucky to sit in-between such awesome Ali/Alli's?? :)

2 comments:

  1. Alli,
    Thank you so much for remembering her with such sweetness. It's good to know her memory lives on. I'm glad you took her surfing! I still have an email she wrote about Hawaii and her belief that Heaven would be just like it (this is before she even knew things weren't going to turn out well). Perhaps it is and maybe she has fulfilled her wish too. :) You are a wonderful friend...to both of us. I am so happy that you are living life fully...so important! Thank you also for mentioning my book. It was cathartic. I'm glad you're enjoying it! Thank you again for this post. Love, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is such a bittersweet post! I remember you & Ali always talking about "hot guys", and who would've thought the outcome of that sweet little guy sitting between the two of you? :)

    ReplyDelete