Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sunday Lovin'

And Sunday Lovin' is back after last week's hiatus. Did you miss me?? :)
Here it goes...

1.) Welcome to Lima: The event we had at work this week was "Welcome to Lima". There are a lot of new extranjeros (foreigners) arriving in Peru to teach English. The school year is JUST starting here. So we decided it would be a perfect time to bring new people to the clubhouse and present some important information about living in Lima/Peru. Sooo, guess who was in charge of it? ME! I've lived here for about 1 month...ha. So I ended up doing A LOT of reseach, learning a lot, formatting a presentation and PPT, and giving about a 45 minute presentation. We knew we would have some people at the event who have been here for a while so we hoped that it would be more interactive and that people could jump in and add their 2-cents. And to my delight, that's exactly how it went! People were asking questions, adding their input. It was great. I talked for about 45 minutes but the whole thing took about an hour and 45 minutes which was perfect! Plus, we got 4 new memberships that night. I got a a lot of compliments on how the night went, that felt really great. So currently, I am loving on the events that we have been having recently. They have been going great!

2.) "Knowing" people: I am loving that fact that I kind of, sort of "know" people around here :) I have Millie's friends who are always so welcoming and great. And then I have the regular people I pass on my way to work or see at the cafes that I stop at in the mornings before work. I eat at one cafe about once a week and always sit in the same section so I get the same waiter. He is probably about 60 and always asks how I am doing and even if I am just walking by the restaurant he waves in my direction.
This is the restaurant I frequent. I'm starting to make friends, mom!! :)

3.) Planning: If you know me, you know that I love planning. Making lists etc. etc. Between my job and planning for a trip to Machu Pichu (with my boyfriend!!!) I am in heaven making lists, planning and following-up on details. Love it! :)

4.) Peruvian birthday cake: This week was Millie's 22nd birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MILLIE!!). Her friends threw her a surprise party here at the house and it was a lot of fun. The best part of any party is obviously the cake :) And you really can't beat peruvian birthday cake. It is so good, in so many ways! You can look on my facebook page for pictures from that party.

I don't know who Drew is...but this cake looks about right! :) YUM!!

5.) Mate de Coco: Ever since we visit Huancayo, I have fallen for mate de coco. It's a tea that is supposed to help with side-effects of altitude sickness and other ailments. I like it because it tastes good and is better for me than coffee. And with a little bit of sugar and a touch of honey. Yummmmy! Perfect. Oh, and did I mention it is made of of coco leaves (cocaine..)? haha. Only trace amounts, of course. But I have heard stories about how it can be hard to even bring the tea bags into the U.S. Interesante......
6.) LivingInPeru.com: At work we get a lot of our information and share a lot of our information with this website. Living in Peru is a great resource for people, mostly foreigners, living in peru (hence, the name). It's all written in English and it has great updates on news and events. With the elections coming up in April, I get a lot of the election updates from that site. Events around Peru are also posted on their events calendar so you always know what is going on. I encourage you to check it out if you are interested to see what is going on in Peru.


My Sunday Lovin' will now continue with Loving Jesus (we're going to church!), Loving friends (I am going to Hannah's--my good friend from university who is also working here--for lunch and to hang out for the day) and Loving Spanish (Spanish homework....!! yeah!)

Hope you're Sunday is great! Take a nap :)

LO
VE

No comments:

Post a Comment