Saturday, March 19, 2011

Work=Wine Tasting?

If you ever hear me complain about my internship, just remind me that last night part of my job was to attend a wine tasting. You can't really beat that!! :) I have been so blessed to do so many amazing things through this internship.

I have hosted events that are interesting and informative. Some events I learned everything right there on the spot. For example, this week we hosted an archaeology event where one of our members who is working on the PhD came in presented information about archaeology and her thesis research here in Peru. It was awesome! I never thought that history could be so interesting.

Through these events I also get to meet really cool and interesting people. Everyone that comes through our clubhouse has a different reason for being in Peru whether it's travelling or for work or they've fallen in love with the country and decided to retire here. It is such an diverse blend of people and life stories that it keeps me daily interactions very interesting.

I am also developing important skills that will be needed in a future job. Communication, planning, organization, deadlines, have all become a key part of what I do for SAE. These skills will translate over into whatever I find myself doing in the future.

Not only am I seeing the personal benefits from my internship at SAE, but I am currently working on planning an event about children in Peru who are living in poverty as well as a TOMS shoes event where we will screen their documentary. I am hoping to raise awareness through these events and maybe we can even raise some money. We also host events on sustainability and other important topics that people need to be informed about.

So, about the wine tasting. We had the "Wine Guy" come to our clubhouse and teach us all about the fine art of tasting wine. It was so cool! The tasting was focused on Peruvian wines (which have never really been that great) but this guy knew his stuff and brought in all the best. Along the way we learned about using our eyes, nose and mouth to tell the story behind a wine. We also learned proper etiquette for wining and dining :) I must say, it was a good way to kick-off my weekend and when I got home I went right to sleep.

I was able to sleep in today which was nice. I read outside in the sun, ate a mango, took a nap, wrote this blog post, worked out and it's only 3:30pm! :) Later, I plan to meet up with Hannah for dinner and a movie which will be a perfect end to my day.

The start of the new week means I am half way through my time here in Peru. That is just CRAZY talk. Like I alluded to in my previous posts time is flying. I will be starting in on some more projects at work, as well, so that will make time go event faster and keep me busy.

I am so looking forward to my last week here when Kyle is coming to visit and we are taking a trip to Machu Picchu. But I also am trying to not wish my time away here. I am learning so much about myself, about work, about this new culture and Spanish! I want to keep learning more. So for the second half of my time here I am going to SOAK IT UP as much as I can.
I hope you, my reader, can do that, as well. Soak up your experiences like you would soak up the sun! No matter where you are, your everyday experiences are in some way shaping who you are. SOAK IT UP! :)

Alright, gotta go jump in the shower. Sunday Lovin' tomorrow. Meet ya there :)
Chau.

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people that have come alive."
--Howard Thurman


LO
VE

No comments:

Post a Comment