Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Preparations

This week has been all about preparing myself for my 3-month internship in Lima. I should be reading my Spanish dictionary, huh? But mostly I have just been making list, packing, shopping for a few last minute items and attempting to mentally prepare myself for 3 months away from home.

I can't believe I am actually going. Because of the speed of the interview process and such I haven't had much time to prepare or think through what I am actually doing :) But I know that I am EXCITED! It all has really happened so fast and I am so thankful for all the supportive people in my life and for the way these opportunities have fallen into place.

In a ridiculous turn of events, my computer hard drive crashed this weekend meaning I had to rush around to buy a new computer. The good thing is that I backed up most of my documents, pictures and music a few weeks ago. But there are a few precious items that were lost on the hard drive FOREVER. My eye is twitching right now even thinking about it (my left eye twitches when I get stressed or angry...ha). Oh well, life goes on, and a new computer is coming via fed ex just in time for me to install everything and whisk it away on an awesome South American adventure!


For those interested, here is the website of the organization I will be working at (South American Explorers, Lima). I will be an intern meaning I will fill in where needed, but my focus is on marketing and advertising. I have talked to numerous past and present interns and they have loved their internships with the organization and have said that they definitely stayed busy. Which is EXACTLY what I am looking for :) They also let me know that they are very flexible with schedule and hours so that will be an added bonus.

I will be living with a host family in Lima in a very nice, safe and clean neighborhood called La Molina. My "host sister" studied at Goshen for a month and this family has been hosts to two of my best friends :) So many connections. I am definitely excited about building new relationships and learning more Spanish.

I think the biggest adjustment for me will be the city life. Culture shock?? I'm thinking city shock :) Lima is a big city. So it will be fun to be in the setting (once I get used to it, of course!)

Well, as you can tell I am very much looking forward to this new adventure! I will try to keep this blog updated mostly with what I am doing, but also some notes about what I am learning about myself etc. etc. on and on :)

Thanks for following along!
Gotta go see if my suitcase will shut...?? We shall see....

The BIG city of Lima



Did I mention I am working in Miraflores?? Right on the coast?? So excited to leave these blizzard conditions for 80+ degree weather and the beach :) You can be jealous now...

3 comments:

  1. While I know I will miss you like crazy, I am excited for you and the adventures you will have! I am grateful for having spent that time with you in Nicaragua, because it assures me you are ready for this next phase of life! Love you forever! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you Alli! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will miss you a lot...but will know that you are growing up and ready to spread your wings & fly! We love you Alli!

    ReplyDelete