Monday, February 7, 2011

Spanish is like a marathon

Espanol es como un Marathon. That's exactly what I am learning so far. You've got to take it all in little by little, train your brain, until you feel ready to run the whole race (i.e. speak spanish for a whole day). By 8pm last night I was so exhausted, but my night was just starting....

Last night I went out with some of my host sister's friends for a birthday party. We ended up at a jazz club. Their specialty is sushi...sushi and jazz? Interesting combo. It was fun, but I feel like everyone here is talking about 120 mph and when you throw 10 people together and some jazz music in the background (loud!)and spanish at 150mph It's not going to be so easy to converse. But I definitely enjoyed my time and tried to soak it all in.

Today was my first day of work. I went in for only a half day for orientation and to discuss my job description (I will write more about that later). But I am very excited about what's to come. My only concern is transportation. This week my host sister will take me and pick me up so I can learn the trip...so hopefully I learn fast! It's a big city with lots of buses, micros, a metro, and taxis.

I feel like I am back on SST not really sure what is coming next. I think having a work schedule will help because it will give me some more structure in my day. I am excited for that.

Some things I have noticed so far:
-I feel like a gigante (giant!)...I thought I felt tall in Nicaragua but this is just crazy. I am 5'3ish and feel so tall.
-Big cities have pretty parks
-Big cities also have LOTS of people which equals LOTS of traffic!
-They have drinkable yogurt here, which is so tasty
-My head starts to spin after too much spanish (this should improve...)
-I think I have heard 1 catcall in 2 days of walking around the city. This is way different than Nicaragua where I would hear about 10 after walking for 20 minutes.

I am loving it here. The weather is extra warm and the people are great.

Sorry for the randomness of this post. I will get a more coherent post together soon, but after all the info thrown at me today I am exhausted.

Check back tomorrow! :) Buenos noches!

LO
VE

1 comment:

  1. Sooo excited for your adventures! And just THINKING about listening and (for me) attempting to speak Spanish that fast makes my head spin! Keep the blog posts coming!

    ReplyDelete